Then and Now : Note that the road was not made up.
Then and Now :
Then and Now : It is Sale Day at the auction yard in Bridge Street. The regular attendants have left their carts outside the White Horse Inn, while the horses were stabled to the rear.
Then and Now : Market Hill. The Condul Cafe claimed to be Framlingham’s only cafe/restaurant in an advert of 1938. This photo would be from the early 1950s, based on the Ford Prefect E493A visible on the right.
Then and Now : A spring Sunday; Market Hill is never empty of cars!
Then and Now : date unknown
Then and Now :
Then and Now : On the right hand side is the Gas Works. The Gas Works were built in 1850 at a cost of £1200. Coal gas production continued up to 1953, when large butane cylinders were provided, and finally north sea gas arrived in 1973. Stanley Baines was the manager for many years.
Then and Now :
Then and Now : Former gas works site on the right of the lamp post
Then and Now : Drawing from 1947
Then and Now :
Then and Now : The building set back on the far left was the Police Station. In the centre with awning is the premises of Tom Dale, builder and cabinet maker.
Then and Now :
Then and Now : The familiar view of cars parked on the Hill. Note the infilling of the pavement to the right, compared with the previous photo. The name Rothwell is above the shop to the far side of the Hill, who was a grocer in the late 1950s.
Then and Now : A winter’s scene. The Sale Yard was to the immediate left.
Then and Now :
Then and Now :
Then and Now : A substantial tree in the Sale Yard, with branches extending well into the street.